This release of The Definitive Guide adds a new chapter “Running Maven” with an important new section documenting the Advanced Maven Reactor options –projects, –also-make, –resume-from, and –also-make-dependents. If you are working on a multi-module build and you are interested in finding ways to customize the projects selected for a particular build, these options are invaluable. You can read it by:
- Reading this book on the Sonatype site
- Downloading the PDF from Sonatype
- Reading this book on Scribd
Major changes in this version:
- A new chapter on running Maven that contains documentation of the Maven Reactor options. Thanks to Dan Fabulich for contributing to this chapter.
- Some typo/grammer fixes (from 0.7.3) in Chapter 3 that address some of the proofreading work from Grant Birchmeier via GetSatisfaction.
For those of you following the book’s open source project, here are the release notes from the Definitive Guide’s JIRA project:
Version 0.7.3 Release Notes
- [MVNDEF-375] – Double-check All Uses of the word "coordinate" vs. "coordinates"
- [MVNDEF-376] – Section 3.2 First bullet, formatting issue
- [MVNDEF-377] – Section 3.5.2, First Para, Last sentence: fix akward phrasing
- [MVNDEF-378] – Figure 3.3, Check for Missing Phase
- [MVNDEF-379] – Section 3.5.2, Second-to-last Para, Formatting Issue
- [MVNDEF-380] – Section 3.5.2, Fix wording in Last Paragraph
- [MVNDEF-381] – Fix Capitalization Issue in Section 3.5.3
- [MVNDEF-382] – Section 3.5.3, Fix Punction Issue in Third Paragraph
- [MVNDEF-383] – Fix coordinate plural issue in Third Paragraph of Section 3.5.3
- [MVNDEF-384] – Fix Ungrammatical 3-in-1 Sentence, Last Sentence of Third Paragraph in Section 3.5.3
- [MVNDEF-385] – Combine Second and Third Sentence in Third Paragraph of Section 3.5.4
- [MVNDEF-386] – Fix Formatting of Version in Section 3.5.4
- [MVNDEF-387] – Fix Third Sentence in Last Paragraph of Section 3.5.4
- [MVNDEF-374] – Address Feedback from Grant Birchmeier on Chapter 3
Version 0.8 Release Notes
- [MVNDEF-393] – Create a Section for Defining Properties on the Command Line
- [MVNDEF-394] – Create a Section for the Help Option
- [MVNDEF-395] – Create a Section for the Profile Option
- [MVNDEF-396] – Create a Section for the Version Options
- [MVNDEF-397] – Create a Section for the Offline Option
- [MVNDEF-398] – Create a Section for the No-recursion Option
- [MVNDEF-399] – Create a Section for the Plugin Updates Option
- [MVNDEF-400] – Create a Section for Dependency Options (Checksum and Update Snapshots)
- [MVNDEF-401] – Create a Section for the Batch Option
- [MVNDEF-402] – Create a Section for Verbosity Options
- [MVNDEF-403] – Create a Section for Failure Options
- [MVNDEF-404] – Create a Section for Encryption Options
- [MVNDEF-405] – Create a Section for Customizing the Location of Settings and POM
- [MVNDEF-409] – Modify all Example Project Group Identifiers and Names: Remove Chapter Number
- [MVNDEF-414] – Update the Simple Chapter Download Section
- [MVNDEF-415] – Update the Customizing Chapter Download Instructions
- [MVNDEF-416] – Change all Package Names containing "ch04" in Customizing Chapter to contain "custom" instead.
- [MVNDEF-417] – Update the Simple Web Application Download Instructions
- [MVNDEF-418] – Change all Package Names containing "ch05" in Simple Web Chapter to "simpleweb"
- [MVNDEF-419] – Change all Package Names containing "ch03" in Simple Chapter to "simple"
- [MVNDEF-420] – Change all Package Names containing "ch06" in Multi-module Chapter to "multi"
- [MVNDEF-421] – Update the Multimodule Chapter’s Download Section
- [MVNDEF-422] – Update the Multimodule Enterprise Chapter’s Download Section
- [MVNDEF-423] – Change all Package Names containing "ch07" in Multi-module Enterprise Chapter to "multispring"
- [MVNDEF-424] – Change all Package Names containing "ch08" in Optimizing Chapter to "optimize"
- [MVNDEF-368] – Fix PDF Book build to properly highlight commands with the appropriate inline style
- [MVNDEF-410] – Fix the Example Projects, Make Sure that Each Book Release Publishes (and References) a New Archive
- [MVNDEF-388] – Create a New Chapter "Running Maven" Focused on Command-line Options, Environment Variables
- [MVNDEF-135] – Include the full text of the CC License in the Copyright of the Book
- [MVNDEF-389] – Change Name of Installation Chapter to "Installing Maven" move some sections to "Running Maven"
- [MVNDEF-390] – Integrate D. Fabulich’s Reactor Documentation into the "Running Maven" Chapter
- [MVNDEF-391] – Remove the Negative Note about the Apache Maven Site from the Book
- [MVNDEF-392] – Update the trademark legalese in the Copyright Chapter
- [MVNDEF-406] – Move Maven Help Plugin Section from the Installation Chapter to the Running Maven Chapter
- [MVNDEF-407] – Replace mention of Wicket in introduction with Apache ActiveMQ
- [MVNDEF-408] – Get rid of Chapter Numbers in Example Projects
- [MVNDEF-411] – Make sure that all Example POMs are Formatted Properly
- [MVNDEF-412] – Change all Package Names in Definitive Guide to Match New Example Package Names (Omit Chapter Numbers)
- [MVNDEF-413] – Update all of the Example Download Sections with the Appropriate Download Link and instructions
- [MVNDEF-425] – Document Advanced Reaction Options with an Example Project