When Maven Repository Managers (MRM) first appeared on developers’ radar, everyone using them immediately saw the benefits. Right off the bat, MRMs replaced cobbled together solutions like shared drives or local Maven repositories copied and exposed via http.
Since its release four years ago, Sonatype Nexus has grown to support many repository formats. And most users of build tools including Gradle, Leiningen, SBT and Ant/Ivy have started to realize the numerous benefits of using a repository manager.
Using an MRM has become accepted best practice for Maven users.
Sonatype is happy to be helping the Hudson community with our support of the Hudson book.
The goal of the Hudson book is to be the authoritative source of documentation for Hudson users. We expect it to be available soon. Stay tuned to this blog for updates on the availability of the Hudson book.
For the perspective of one of the key contributors to the project, see Manfred Moser’s recent blog post, “Hudson – Book, Changes, and Community.“
Since the [Hudson] project lives on github it is pretty easy to follow the usual clone, branch, hack, commit, pull request sort of flow and thanks to Maven the build is as easy as .. surprise .. mvn clean install.
Read more of Manfred’s blog on Simpligility.
At Sonatype, our books are constantly evolving and we’re planning on some big changes in the m2eclipse book over the next few months including new information about how to use m2eclipse in concert with our other product offerings Nexus and Matrix. Today, a much smaller change: announcing a very minor update to the Sonatype m2eclipse book.
Edition 1.2 contains the following minor updates:
- Added a new appendix: Appendix B, Contributing to the m2eclipse Book. This chapter provides some of the basic information would be required by someone looking to participate in the book project including information about the tools used to write the book, how to clone the Git repository, and how to execute the Maven build for this book. (MEBOOK-78 and MEBOOK-79)
- The book now contains instructions for people who want to subscribe to the book announcement mailing list. (MEBOOK-77)
- Updated the Book’s copyright to 2011. (MEBOOK-74 and MEBOOK-82)
- Update version of m2eclipse to 0.12.0. (MEBOOK-84)
Download the m2eclipse Book PDF by filling out the following form:
Read the m2eclipse Book online at
Sonatype used to make a habit of posting updates for every single book update no matter how major of minor the update might be, and several of you use told us that you miss these posts. To this end, we’re happy to announce a minor update to Maven by Example.
Maven by Example is our introductory Maven book. The chapters in this book used to be the first half of Maven: The Definitive Guide, and once that book grew beyond 500-pages we decided to split it up into Maven by Example and Maven: The Complete Reference.
While this particular update is very minor, we’re busy laying the groundwork for a refresh of both of our Maven titles over the next few months.
Sonatype books are the essential references for anyone working with Apache Maven, repository management, and integrating Maven with Eclipse.
Learn best practices, central concepts, and complete integration for Maven, Nexus Professional, and m2eclipse. Sonatype books offer the latest content for the software development tools you depend on.
The third book in our series of books available for downloading is Repository Management with Nexus.
Nexus Professional is a next-generation repository manager that can proxy remote repositories, host internal repositories, encourage collaboration, and increase efficiency.
Repository Management with Nexus walks you through the installation process for both the Open Source version of Nexus and Nexus Professional, and it covers important topics such as:
- Installing Nexus as a Service on a Linux Machine
- Nexus Best Practices
- Managing Security with Nexus’ Fully Customizable Role-based Authentication System
- Reading Nexus System Logs
- Installing Nexus as a WAR in an Existing Application Server
- Configuring Nexus Professional’s LDAP Authentication Realm
- Configuring Nexus Professional’s Staging and Procurement Features
To download Repository Management with Nexus, please click here.