Today, we are very excited and happy to announce an update to one our flagship technologies: Sonatype’s Nexus Repository. With the latest release we build on previous capabilities to provide the first, completely free, repository manager supporting the world’s most popular component formats.
That’s right, if you were looking for a scalable, enterprise-capable repository for npm, Docker, Bower, NuGet, and more -- you can download it today. Best yet, this release is production ready, and backed by the same support and quality you expect from all Nexus products.
Based on most recent data, there are more than 100,000 instances of Nexus Repository worldwide. That large install base means we have a lot of passionate users, many of which reached out to us submitting features, downloading and testing milestones, and participating in direct user experience testing. For that, we thank you first and foremost, and we expect users of this new version will appreciate your hard work as well.
Whether you’ve been with us since the first milestone, or if this is all new to you, we’d like to share a little bit about the features you can expect.
Features in 3.0
- A new runtime and improved architecture to accelerate performance, support future expandability, and streamline user interactions
- Updated interface supports more streamlined Browse, Search, and Administration functionality
- New installers take a streamlined approach for easier use
- Carried over current formats (e.g. Maven2, NuGet, and npm) and added a range of new ones (e.g. Docker, Bower)
- Improved npm support significantly
- Added full Docker container support, including the ability to host a Docker Private Registry.
- Most recently added Bower proxy, hosted, and group repositories
- New Provisioning API expands Nexus Repository via scripts and REST to automate common tasks for key areas (e.g., core configuration, security, repository, blob store)
- For a complete list, read our Release Notes
We’re pretty excited about this release and we think you will be too. If you’re ready to start using Nexus Repository OSS 3.0 today, download it now.
Looking ahead to 3.1 and beyond
Most recently, we added Bower package support, along with the provisioning API. In upcoming releases you can expect to see:
- Migration from Nexus 2 to Nexus 3.1
- PyPi format support
- RubyGems format support
- Continued improvements to the Maven format, as well as Repository Manager in general
- Upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1
We want to thank everyone that has offered feedback, participated in user reviews, and every existing user of Nexus Repository. You make the difference and it’s our goal to continue to provide only the best products with features that support your software supply chain and help accelerate your software development
Want to learn more?
In addition to documentation and support, Sonatype also maintains a community of users for Nexus products. There you can see posts directly from our development team and from users around the world. While you’re there, why not write your own blog post about the Nexus Repository!